Monday 13 February 2012

What is going on? NICKY MACKAY Wolverhampton 3.40

NICKY MACKAY declared himself "disappointed" with the Wolverhampton stewards after he was given a ten-day ban for his winning ride on Stars In Your Eyes on Monday.Mackay was found to have struck the John Gosden-trained favourite ten times on his way to winning by a nose but felt the stewards would find in his favour after the winner veered to the right on more than one occasion.
This really does take the biscuit - they could not even say how many times the horse had been whipped (they let him off 1 strike said they had discounted one of Mackay's strikes on safety reasons but, as he was still two strikes more than the permitted seven in a Flat race, they had no choice but to ban him.Mackay said: "I feel there was not much more I could do. I hit the horse ten times, but in the circumstances I thought I was in danger of going through the fence.
watch the race - the horse is an enigma - you would say its a natural right handed animal  the way he could not make the bends but its  a head case  rather than a right handed.. Mackay was on top of an animal that he could no longer anticipate any further, his blood was up the horses blood was up. They went right handed to the line - he did strike it and to be honest you cant think that in the straight it improved its position (I backed the horse that came second) 
Horses do not benefit from beating  -  they are pin brained animals who have quirks,  they have to have understanding and that's the truth. BUT Jockeys are animals too  they can be well frightened and this one put a real stir into Mackay.
This was  a bloody silly decision by the stewards who should have interviewed him given him a caution at the most in my opinion --- we are neglecting Jocks to satisfy "the racing public" who ever they are - this was a classic case where the stick was needed through the race for safety reasons  - they should not have counted the "be safe" Discretionary strikes that resulted in this penalty.
 Give me your views please    

2 comments:

Benhorseracing said...

I am not a big fan of whipping, I have to watch the race first. My english isnt perfect, so did you mean that Mackay was right to use the whip many times, because it was needed for safety reasons?, or do you think Mackay used it too much and the ban is right?

Unknown said...

I meant that the horse was unruly at the bends - the whip rules allow discretion when the rider has difficulty and there is possible danger if the whip is not used -- where he used the whip under that circumstance it should not be added into the number of strikes -- the sillyness of the law means that if a rider has an unruly or dangerous ride and corrects with the whip he has no more allowed strikes for the finish - I dont like horses beaten either Rade but I draw the line - guess Im the old school I would only ever strike my child if he or she was caught just before they dashed into a road -out of both a protective instinct and fear on my part - its all about common sense the child is wrong and I am wrong but hopefully neither of us is run over and lesson learned