Sunday 19 December 2010

horse names - during the cold weather

Pams favourite  was a filly called Gee Spot. She was very well named as she was by Pursuit of Love out of My Discovery.
 The Irish tried to name a horse Wearthefoxhat,but the racing club rejected it as they had been caught out before by one they had allowed in 1920 called What the fox at  - must have been some Irish commentary  - "and Jumping to the front What the fox at! "

 My Dad had a dog he called Upsey -  just so when it jumped up at you he could say "Get down Upsey" it was the only one of his dogs he gave a name too all the rest back into dim history were called - DOG (guess he never got over none of the children finding it funny every bloody day and it was certainly one confused dog)


so come on during the frost off - gimmie some horse names 


Bob

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Horses name, and this isn't crude, I always liked The Toiseach, which we all know is the name for the Irish House of Dublin (?) Teeshack it's pronounced for you ignopramuses - and of course Denman - only cos it won be a lot of pennies

Anonymous said...

For dogs - I have to put forward one of mine Aston - so called, cos some bastard threw it from his Aston Martin when a wee pup. The fact that my name is Martin made a lot od sense.

Unknown said...

think its the prime minister of Ireland Martin or is the president?
for memory reasons and brave horses I remember Roll a Joint with great affection aptly named fearless animal who unfortunately got killed at Aintree in the late 70s - and a horse called Fabulous a big imposing grey who is only remembered by a few he was as fabulous as his name brave as a lion never knew he was beaten as they say just an old handicapper who won five races every year from a 2 yr old to a ten year old and finished in the frame - NEVER FELL

Anonymous said...

I think it's the prime minister mate - shows you what I know about the Irish .... Titus Oates was a great name for a horse

Anonymous said...

I can give you the name of a football team (way back) - they called themselves WOFTAM .... which stood for Waste of F****** Time And Money :)

The Novice Hurdler said...

Still love the name 'Nobby Kivambo'.

It's never won a race yet but has had a few 2nd/3rd places and everytime I look at the horse I think 'I'm not betting on that' and it always comes in to place at a very good price.