Tuesday 4 October 2011

For What its worth......






How do I use VFB?

Day to day........Initially...I have a reduced set of criteria set to help filter the data the image above shows which (set for flat)....for handicaps I am looking for horses that have a high MR and are still improving.........going and course stats are important, and in the above bPr which indicates if the horse has class.....

I then look at the form array which gives a comparative overview, particularly useful here is going and the ability to quickly see a summary of each runners performance in previous races.

These two tools allow a shortlist to be drawn up.......somedays there will be none!

For further analysis statistics and form in a line are used and further factors such as trainer and jockey stats are used/

Writing systems is a great way to help reduce the field........run with a few variables and try to identify profitable trends.......eg Sires........Motivator (Bob yawns) 3yo offspring at odds between 6-1 and 10/1 have won 60% of handicaps at class 3/4 came from simply setting the initial criteria for sires...........

It takes time to do properly.......I'm still learning and when I retire will dedicate a load more time to it!

Good luck, always happy to answer more specific questions .between us here there is a large pool of experience. John

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Motivator (bob yawns) is just not true John--- Motivator is highlighted via the analyser as the sire as is Montjue Presenting -Danehill etc...and each entry shows this as a key factor in each race....as are some of the dog breed sires (Norwich for example) by doing this via the analyser its quickly picked up without further research - just one point to add to your excellent post and that's the use of MR --I only consider this key factor in stake races NEVER handicaps. nor do I personally make much of the form for 2 yr olds or horses that have not had more than at least 10 runs (though I will make notes on these un exposed animals...

JohnB said...

Bob, 2yo.I never normally back them as they are still babies and developing and as such will always return a variable performance.....particularly given the differential in ages at the 2yo which makes all the difference....having said that I might be persuaded once I have done more research into sires . Hoisting my flag to the mast I must say that I find winter NH racing much more reliable for form and therefore more profitable, a big factor in this is that the horses are fully grown.

Bob I'll think about MR and handicaps.....and get back, it does become interesting though when the MR+ is greater than the handicap and there is a big improvement.....its about identifying horses that are improving faster than the handicapper, there is probably a whole topic there....Bob, any suggestions other than copious notes?

fatalitylord said...

Thanks for your helpful post. I'm still figuring out what all the columns mean. Using ALL, LAT, GOI, DIS onces mainly at the moment. They seem the most basic to start with. Once i familiarise myself with the book (only been using 2 days) im sure everything will become clear!

Have not narrowed down to any specific type of race at the moment just looking at the big picture.

What do you think of the LAYSFH1 system? that seems to throw up alot of successful lays 35/36 past 2 days.

Unknown said...

Figuring what all the columns mean is all down to the individual user.
Hit the help button and go to variables for the Vfb description of each.
use the edit page to consider races conditions that you are particularly interested in.
Will do some screen shots of my book similar to those that John has put up.
(Roll on the NH season I echo that sentiment John)

Unknown said...

Really Am interested in the variables of MR+ which I use as a dominant factor for stake races but only in conjunction with Imp.
more later - off to get me ole eyes tested