Friday 18 November 2011

Private Handicapping 181111

We will all have different ways of compiling private handicap figures And I only do it for animals that are in the race I have backed in (if you want to do more that's a lot of work for no good reason in my book) --


 I only complete any private capping on horses that are running in value races and  are developing - but look to those figures when they have been over a variety of tracks and gained experience (around 8 or 9 within that code) -  Am looking for an animal that has shown decent  form on certain type of track before I handicap them and they must have had plenty of runs before i believe the rating have given them  and  only use that track Impedance  for best assessment.


 -- Take today  race 2.45 - my private handicap is related to the Cim of the track -- I take the Or today and rate it on lengths it wins by - and now the subjective bit -- what did it beat that had the same sort of number of runs on similar track type and distance  and what happened in the race to affect the result... - well nothing major happened and I have it as a true run race. 
Ascot has a High Cim factor similar to Cheltenham -- Quito Du Tresor  ran 5th over 2miles off a mark of 130 over 2miles and was 12l  behind the 156 rated winner that day - made a mistake at the second last that knocked it back but that's all - my rating was 136 (giving it +4 for its finishing position having made the blunder - strictly on lengths behind the winner and ignoring the blunder that cost him the Or was less because of the weight difference. I do NOT adjust the figures in the book so its the unadjusted figures I compare. I don't think it matters really if you adjust or otherwise as long as your consistent and don't compare apple's and oranges   
So True run race for me and any blunder last fence or two gives my private handicap a plus factor.
 Next race showed that it runs better right handed but the race at Perth had no Cim factor and though he only just got beaten I gave it less of a private rating than both Or and Visual form book -- notebooked  "this would have been higher by 6lbs over  further with a stiffer track"

 Today came out right handed with a Cim factor course  and further and my rating of 136 came back into force as it had ideal conditions and was off an official rating of 128 - combined with the distance from Scotland this guy had to come for a race worth 12 grand as opposed to the value of the Cheltenham race of 42 grand  meant to me he could achieve the 136 figure easily remember am talking unadjusted figures.  

So mate my methods are very subjective to experience - track -going - distance - and race value with plus or minus factor for its mistake -- others take on board number runners regardless of how many runs the horse has experience of ---


 I bet that does not make a lot of sense but that's broadly how I do it. 


 It would help if others do rate the animals they have backed  that way if we write them up we can agree or disagree and get a more rounded picture of more and more animals


 Bob 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes a lot of sense mate and would like to comment further in it in the morning.