Monday 27 September 2010

From £1,000 to £10,000 can I do it???

Hi all, Robert has asked me to post and I have an idea that may be of interest to some of you. I have a plan to turn a £1,000 bank into a £10,000 bank ideally by the end of the year and I thought I could post my diary from time to time on here. Following my ups and downs in real time to see whether I can actually achieve my goal. Tick of interest below if you think that it may be and I will do a weekly update on my progress.

My background so far is that I was taught Betfair and how to select a horse to LAY by an ex-bookie around 9 months ago. Despite being warned all of the things not to do and all the mistakes not to make(by many people including lots on the Timeform facebook page) I can assure you that I made them all and added in some new ones of my own, then made them all again (just to be sure!!). I spent a long time learning what to do and more to the point what not to do before I finally saw the light. That's not to say that I don't still make mistakes - believe me I do all the time and I am very much still learning.

Betfair for me is not so much about the horses (although I am becoming more interested as I become more knowledgeable) but more about making profit for the least possible risk. My ultimate aim is to be able to trade to earn enough money to live on comfortably.

So how to I plan to turn £1,000 into £10,000 by the end of the year. Well firstly to have a plan and to stick to it - that old chestnut discipline which is a state of mind that one day finally clicked with me. I also read "Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas which has helped me enormously. I would also like to add that I have also been helped by many on the FB site and especially Rick from StatManLays and Bill Clarke - layer extrodinaire! I have also been hindered by many, many more but that's my fault for listening!!

So the outline of my plan is the value of my stake is 1% of my bank - so initially £10 - increasing as the value of the bank increases. Only laying horses, or trades with back to lay, or lay to back. Not getting involved with other markets. I also will use the 1-4 staking system (Google for more info) which I have worked out over the months is by far more profitable than level stakes.

I started on 9th September and aim to have a £10,000 bank by the end of the year - can I do it? I don't know but I am going to give it my all in trying - next week I will post up my progress and the highs and lows (there are quite a few of these!!) so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a word Carole - YES!! I did it myself (to a larger amount). ANYONE can do it !! Good luck though :)

Unknown said...

Hi Carole - great post just as the doctor ordered - will watch how you do the business with pleasure.
at what time of the day do you pick the animals your going to lay? What factors influence you? and what perils Can you point out that are strict No No's?
thanks for the fulsome post - oh don't take any notice of Martin at all - his idea of laying his way to a fortune was ano no from the first day he offered his services on the mile end road thanks again for the post
Bob

thisgirllikeslaying said...

Good Luck Carole, best of luck TGLL