Sunday 31 October 2010

A rough guide to my ratings system..

For me personally when it comes to betting I like to base my opinions on some solid facts on paper rather than here say or my own gut feeling – which sometimes works a treat but largely let’s me down... This is why I decided about a year ago that I wanted to have solid facts and figures to back up supporting or indeed laying a horse this is when I decided I wanted to compile my own ratings system.

Various people I know like to do their own ratings for the racing and each does it their own unique way. I recently had a few people ask me how I come up with my ratings so I would like to tell you how I carry out my evaluations and how I get that Ratings score.

It took me about six months of tweaking and changing small aspects of my system to get to the point I’m at today where I have had consistant results. Now nobody’s system is full proof we are dealing with animals and as you all know results can sometimes come out of the blue and you can have good days as well as bad. But I feel my ratings system works well enough and importantly works consistantly enough for myself.


Churning through the stats....
So how do I mark up horses for various races? Well to be honest there are the three S’s as I like to say they are Stats, Stats and yep you guessed it more stats!. My ratings are carried out pretty much 99% through stat based analysis. For the purposes of my blog I post up six races per day that I focus on but on a normal race day I will do a lot more for my own purposes.

Different races however will be rated differently. For example two year old newcomer races I have no form to base my analysis on so for this I change tact and go largely on the Stable’s form with two year olds back to the last two seasons and how the Jockey’s have got on with two year olds. I also have points for breeding and what the family may have done on optimum distance, conditions etc. I used to shy away from two year old races but found it really interesting now looking into family history etc and have found you can gain a lot by this and the stables records with these newcomers.

Jumps races are also rated differently. The jumps horses on paper will have a higher points rating simply because my parameters are different. For the jumps I look back over the last six runs. I’m also more inclined to put more emphasis on race conditions in jumps races such as going and ground simply because these races are of course more stamina based.

So come race day here is what I take into account. The horses form going back to the last 10 runs. I think some people dismiss horses too soon after say one or two poor runs for me I’m willing to look back a bit further and give some the benefit of doubt. I then have a point’s parameter and the more consistant the horse the higher number of points I will give them. I also look to see what kind of races they have run in and how the form of that race has worked out with next time runners etc. I am inclined to mark up horses dropping in grade or class for example. The Official rating is also looked at to see any rise or drop in weights and how this could affect their chances. So that’s stage one of my points system.

Next I take into account the Jockey and Trainer form over the previous two week period. Because as we all know a stable who finds form can suddenly get horses that had shown little previously to put in good performances and likewise when jockeys go through a purple patch. I also take into account jockeys stats at the track. For this again I award points based on these stats.

Then I look at the race conditions. This includes the track, ground, distance & draw bias (if there is one). Horses who have won at a track will be marked up more and also if a horse has won at the trip or on the ground would boost their ratings score.

I will also look at the makeup of the race and this is the only real part of my ratings system where I don’t use stats I read through the horses in the race and see how they are expected to run. So I look at where the pace might come from if there are a lot of front runners Id be inclined to mark up a hold up performer more, or if I can only see one pace angle I would make a call as to whether I think their pace will see them get out and not come back to them. This is the smallest score on my ratings but as I said the only one where I don’t use stats and my own intuition if you like. After all these aspects are taken into account I then have my overall ratings score which is calculated the same way for that sphere of racing every race.

It took me a long while to tweak my points parameters to get to a point where I was happy so this included months of ‘’paper trading’’ if you like. So not actually betting just rating the horses and then evaluating the outcome and seeing where I needed to make adjustments to my ratings etc. I also don’t always just back the Top Rated horse because if I have a race where the top rated is fav and say the second rated is only rated a few points lower and much better value I’d back the second if I feel it has a decent chance so sometimes the ratings can be used as a rough guide.

For anyone wanting to do their own stats it’s really up to you as to what you want to take into account. I like to cover as many bases as I can but this does take time and wouldn’t be for everyone. But I do feel having your own ratings system can help you evaluate racing more and then you become more comfortable in certain types of races etc.

Some people don’t like to base their evaluations on stats but for me I like to have these solid evaluations down on paper. I liken it to being back at school as a sort of homework if you like and if you put the effort in you should get the results.
Anyway I shall stop here hope you found it interesting and thanks for reading and as always Good Luck Punting!!

You can follow my ratings daily by going to holdyahorses.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mate - thanks for the heads up on baraka today very good and lonnnnnnng priced winner to add to my tally.
question about how you collate your stats and best bets -- what software do you use? Marriane has toyed with Excel - macroman uses Vsb for Facts and has well-developed his own analysis formulae - so where your facts come from? and where/how do you collate ? thanks for the posting

Bob

Carole Jackson said...

Wow what a lot of work you put into it - well done! Interesting read

Macroman said...

Wow - yes indeed, what a lot of work - I at least have data to work with, my time is spent perfecting the formulas I use.

We all have our own systems we are comfortable with and when these produce winners we are so much happier.

That's what it's about - beating the bookies & helping each other.

John

nathan said...

Hi all thanks for your comments. I have a database of horses with there base ratings if you like and on the race day I adjust those ratings on the race Im focussing on so I don't start from scratch every time but it did take a while to get my database full lol. Same with my jockey databasr I update those every couple of days so there kept up to date.

In question to Bob I get all my info on free sites ATR, Racing Post have all the info I need. And I keep all my info in excel.

Macroman said...

Visual Form Book has all the data you could ever need without looking it up yourself..... Trainer Jockey % strike rates for both the year and track for example plus tons, tons more. This what I use and Export it to Excel and play with it to come up with my system - my race data is all done in 20mins most days - that's how I get to post my selections so quick - I've usually only got 30-40mins before the first race and if I sleep in I'm behind the day with races run already - this week I have an hours advantage.

Here's some of the data headings

DSR aSp bSp mSp aHa bHa mHa Imp LHa MR ALL COD DIS CRS GOI cOR cGL cBE c-R c/R cIM CDG DrA TrA JoA TrC JoC LAT CLA CLC eMR DI+ DI- GO- GO+ DSR2 Weight Dist Class Prize Going Code Type Course

Unknown said...

Nathan - I stand in awe - like john i use the stats and database of Vfb which has 5000 horse details that are produced for each race of the day and can adjust for going in the twinkling of an eye - it also gives the in running comment of all their races and what horses they running against today they have met before - You do all this each day WOW the industry of youth -- must tell us the transfer to excel -how do you get the animals onto excel for a start? does your data base generate the stats on inputting the name ? Have a load of questions - but for a start could you do a screen shot of a race you have analysed ? this is not idle curiosity -it would certainly help me in compiling races like the Melbourne - and the Breeders cup!!!
thanks in advance if you can and are willing to do it!

Bob

nathan said...

Yeah I have read a lot about the vfb looks a very good piece of kit. Is it subscription based Im guessing?

Well Robert it's pretty easy what I do on race day. It sounds like a lot of manual work but it's not too hard really. Like I said I have an excel spreadsheet of all the horses with a base score and then each race day for the race Im looking at I find the horses & adjust the score manually.

So the form of last race, race conditions and the jock/trainer form are just updated for race day. As well as my view on the race pattern.

So I have the horses base rating and all I do is use a simple calculator and manually add to there score. It is all very easy and non technical lol. All I have on Excel is horses name and ratings score same with jockey and stables.It takes me about 10-25 mins per race.

Hope that helped. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nathan - it all sounds like very hard and confusing work but that's just me I guess - I have to say the cost of the book at £36 a month is only understood to be great value once you have tried it -anyway there is the breeders cup and the breeders Juvenile Fillies race coming up this weekend - the Vfb will not help for races abroad and therefore hope we can collaborate between trends and your stats ? hope you agree and will put the trends up early - let me know?

Good luck you deserve it for all the effort you put in

Bob