Tuesday 9 November 2010

Ten Year Trends - how they evolved Bob T

Good morning Grasshopper, who is Yoda?

Two thoughts for you - 

 "Wisdom dispensed for your eyes from the sage can bring forth your own wisdom - even if what is told is wrong"
“All mankind is on a constant learning curve - nothing is new - only adapted from thoughts and ideas gained from others be they young or old”  

Phew glad got that orf me chest.

My trends started way back in the early 90s from such sources as the Timeform Black Book.
 There was a contributor to the old “Weekender” that used to compile 10 year trends for key races weekly – one race per issue and that was where I got the format from – in those days it was a formidable task but he was the forerunner and I contacted him and he was a really nice guy who was a bit of a boffin to tell the truth. The weekender out on Wednesday could only guess at the weather but apart from that gave consistent results.
The Paddy Power in 1997 – was then known as the Murphy’s and considered to be the top return to NH racing for the year was the start of me compiling the stats for every race from there on in. Weekender gave Senor El Betrutti at 33/1 (I was on at 40s!)  Under Jamie Osborne and it simply bounced home

With the advent  of the internet and Racing post the ability to quickly obtain information was born – they still produce previous winners for major races at the bottom of their day’s race card. Take a look .http://www.racingpost.com/  (Not sure if you have to be a member of their site though)

With the advent of the Visual form book and post race notes was, and am, able to see quickly the makeup of the race. Where the winner had won, how many races, what its O.R. was all on one page for all runners  Here is the screen shot of the 2008 race (click to enlarge)

The trends as in everything in life are subject to change – BUT that change is gradual – for example Senor win in 1997 the trends was for runners who had done well at Newbury in the previous March meeting  and Grand national trends pointed to runners down the field in the Hennessey.  When I put up post race notes they have gone into my VFB against each horse for quick collection on the day - they pointed me to the winners of subsequent big races for Imperial Commander (The Ryanair and the Gold Cup) were just yummy !

 As for your last question about wet wolv on a Wednesday NO - you should be able to get a few races that were run before but low grade affairs - contested for the money and betting more than prizes but you better off with recent form though gawd help you on that and when you do fancy a night of fun and frolics  turn first to the Aw followers but form does not translate from other tracks nore dare i say other AW tracks low grade animals inconsistent animals and trainers who are trying to get the animals feed money all conspire against a betting medium for me    

I enjoyed writing this piece hope you enjoy reading it – now go out and Do Good Grasshopper

 BobT

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My God, I thought it was David Carradine that had signed up. A piece of advice - DON'T FOLLOW Chinese trained horses lol I enjoyed you cod oiece Rb - should taht have read Cod?

Unknown said...

thanks for that Martin - we showing our ages - could not remember it was David Carradine - what was the name of the show ? ( no its not a trick question - hvent a clue just the start and the old blind Shogun dispensing (wisdom?)
at least some of your marbles are working - shame about confusing cod -
now get on and start getting some winners for me - congrats on your last two picks for the naps table well done

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob, I've been a bit ill these past dew days , hence barely any blog pieces. I am looking into what you wrote me and I will revert back to you, Isn't te racibf rubbish today? Oh! Just one thing - I think I have found a winning strategy at that fyll racecorse, Wolverhampton!! Waych the blog space mate and can I yake this opportunity to than you for an excellebt blog - welw worth the nibey (nothing) although I wish people would jump on biard the VFB - toy and I didn't miss the bat! And it's sailing along nicely - where else can you obtain such info for £36 pcm !!

The Novice Hurdler said...

Yoda is the wise character in Star Wars.

For Your Information if you have a spare 30secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8PieLJttY&feature=related

The film's only 33 years old so you might not have been around when it came out at the cinema ;-)

Love the new name

Unknown said...

think I must have been too affected by the David Carradine character in about 1900 Jon
- (that's enough of knocking the editors age poor ole soul - don't get on the Martin band waggon its become his number one chortle :D

Anonymous said...

Bob, I have NEVER mentioned your age - it';s the medals from the Boer War that give it way!

Anonymous said...

the google account wontagree to me posting but like to say you system is a bit odd and when you posted them before on the fourm you used to give the winner of other races. you asked for comments on the wall and you give long reaons for place bets and brediing more tham on this blog - why dn=ont you give breeding like you do in the wall posts where you give much more winnings thank you

Unknown said...

Hello who ever you are!
Will you please give a name when posting a comment on the blog? try and get a Google account because I delete anything that I suspect is a forerunner to a spammer.

Please add yourself as follower then there should be no problem. As for breeding and selections on the wall I try and give snap shot of why am backing the horse.
BTL means Back to Lay.
80/20 means is the stake and I give it as place 80/20 where 80% goes on place 20% goes on win (or reverse the % if am more convinced its going to win.)
That way I get a bet that gives me a return of my stake more often than not.
Am happy to open this as a topic on the forum but it really is for followers of the blog.

thank you for visiting us

BobT